Monday, April 11, 2005

I'm comfortable with my "fair-weather fan" mindset

I'm not ashamed to admit it folks, I am indeed a fair-weather fan. Basically, when it comes time for the championships of any sport, coversations go kind of like this:

"Hey Adam, the [insert sport team here] are heading to the play offs, isn't that cool?"
"You bet!"
(while not have actually paid attention at all to said sports team during the normal season)

Don't get me wrong, there are teams that I like and cheer for no matter what. The Twins for example. The Phildadelphia Eagles are another. And various other teams too, but keep in mind that I don't know who any of the players are or any kind of statistics. But yes, for the most part, I only care at the end. In fact, unless I'm at an actual game, I find that I'll only watch the last 3 minutes of a basketball game. Doesn't matter who's playing, it's those final few moments that are worth it.

On a side note, I've come up with a whole new plot to take over the world. What is it you ask? Sports fans. Preferrably college ones. Why them? Cause they're the craziest (aka stupidest). Them, or soccer fans, but I plan on making my base of operations here in the U.S.

See, we're an interesting society. We get all high and mighty because people fight "only about religion" (anyone who blames religion for all wars needs to do a bit more reading and thinking). Yet, we riot because our hockey team wins a championship?? Destroying someone else's property is somehow demanded by the Sports gods? Sickening folks, sickening. Plus, after seeing a hockey game in person (which I enjoyed very much), I realized that a sports fanatic is much more terrifying than a religious fanatic. At least with the latter, they're dying for an ideal. Goodness, I could not contemplate myself being a martyr for Goldy the Gopher, or for any one of U's teams. And yet, I would take some sort pleasure in making others do it...

No, I take it all back. I don't want to make nations and people submit to my ESPN-drugged armies (obviously, I'd have to revert to some kind of mind control tactic). When I conquer the world, I think I'll just have sports fans shot. Much simpler.

4 Comments:

At 9:04 PM, Blogger adam said...

FYI to all, I'll probably do a bit of editing on this one...I'm tired and I think I can flesh some parts out better.

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger Dusty said...

Sports people are more fanatic than religious people? Hmmm, just wait until you see a "pew hopping" church. Also did you hear about the one minute silence for the JP II in the Scottish/Irish soccor game? The Scots all started booing so loudly, they didn't even get 30 seconds of silence in for the pope and ended up calling it off.

Oh, and I heard in the news that fans whose team just won are more likely to go out and cause damage than people whose team just lost. Interesting stuff.

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I was getting all ready for some good old fashion riot carnage, but then minnesota had to go and lose. Psssh, what... losers. Anyway, personally I hope to see a good riot before my time here is up.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger adam said...

Personally, I hope to see a riot put down with an excessive amount of force!

Nah...I kid, I kid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home