Wednesday, April 13, 2005

As close to feeling like a modernist writer as I can get...

Today, after getting done with my job, I decided to do something new. Namely, I went and had lunch at Laurie's Cafe. And boy, am I glad I did!

For one, the food is excellent, and not too pricey. I passed on the pastries (they had croissants, rolls, etc.) merely because I wanted something more filling; and I found that in the tomatoe bisque soup (side note, it appears that they only serve 2 types of soup a day, so I'm not sure if the bisque will be back anytime soon). To satisfy my thirst, I went with a pineapple flaovred French soda (some pineapple flavoring in milk with ice cubes and topped with whipped cream; there were about 20 odd flavorings so I figure I'll try a different one next time). The food was delicious, and the only thing that prevented me from buying say a muffin was the fact that I had verry little money. Anyways, as I ate, I noticed the rather abstract yet cool looking art, the alternative-style music playing in the background, and the leftist-propaganda literature spread about (read an interesting little article on how we're actually commiting genocide in Iraq). To top of the experience, I took note of my [rather recently grown] goatee and status as a student...I felt so Bohemian! Or, as a close second, one of those ex-patriate writers.

But yes, I realized there are some perks to eating at a place that gives off that "leftist" vibe. For one, though I make a jab at the reading materials, I lean towards the left on certain issues; thus, I'm not turned off/offended upon entering. Also, I imagine that this could be a great place to eat during Lent; at least one soup everyday will probably be vegetarian of some sort! The staff is easy going, and as it turns out, you can eat/drink outside. Oh, how I look forward to sipping my French soda as the sun shines, a warm breeze blows, and the fragrant smell of flowers is in the air...

4 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Blogger Dusty said...

Dude, keep the goatee.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, soon you'll be muttering things about the right-wing media and the uniformity of America.

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must be said, the goatee is a bit overused. But on the other hand, perhaps it is overused because of its extreme awesomeness.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Dusty said...

Seems to me that the consenses is that the goatee should stay even past Pasca!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home