Monday, August 15, 2005

"The Balance" (notice: quasi-serious post)

Whilst (that's right, "whilst") thinking about movies, I've noticed that a lot of films have been using the "there's a balance between good and evil" motif. It's a nice little tool; evil sets out to tip the balance, and a hero (perhaps jaded if the filmmakers are looking for a rebel [anti-] hero) arrives to save the day. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the concept of "the balance" really doesn't make sense. Here's my reasoning:

First of all, how do you define "balance?" Is it strictly a one-for-one basis? As in, your father dies, but a child is born to you. If not, how then would you weigh good and bad things? Does a refreshing glass of lemonade erase the anguish of failing a test? And if it more than counter-balanced that negativity, would you then have to spill your drink? Now if you think I'm being too nit-picky, you just found out another flaw; that being how strict is the balance? Does the balance only apply to the greater good of all or is each individual taken into account?

Next, can anyone honestly say that there's "too much good in the world?" You'd have to be insane to say, "You know, things are too good. I want something REALLY nasty to happen to me to keep things even." Anybody who did complain about there being too much good must be evil anyways.

Moving to the last point, a balance would not make sense for good or evil (I've personified the two in the following lines fyi). Why would a balance be appealing to evil? It is not in the nature of evil to have any kind of equality with good, and promising to not overstep "their" bounds is contradictory to evil's nature. Conversely, being good calls for the prevention/eradication of evil, so good would by nature have to act if "it" saw something unjust occurring.

I realize that might be pretty boring to a lot of people (heck, I might even agree), but it was one my philosophical moments, and I felt like sharing.

Oh! One last thing! I recently saw "Bram Stoker's Dracula;" the one made by Francis Ford Coppola and starring Gary Oldman, Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, and Anthony Hopkins. It was decent, but a lot of stuff bugged me, so if I were to rate it, I’d give it a B-. But I digress. The one main thing that bugged me is that a lot of people (and I don't know if this was Coppola intended this or not) have interpreted the ending as love redeeming Dracula (and Mina), as opposed to faith/God/religion, etc. This bugs me for at least two reasons. One, it's stating that God can be supplanted, and two, it implies that God and/or religion are without love, mercy, etc. Obviously this is not true, but Hollywood has been quite busy secularizing any kind of myth (ever notice that in these new films, vampires are still weak to sunlight, silver, and garlic, but not crucifixes or holy water?). Perhaps more on that later.


The only thing that took my mind off of that was how horribly innacurate the new "King Arthur" (starring Clive Owen and Keira Knightley) was. I wrent my garments on the inside.


8 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Blogger adam said...

Yeah, I have seen Constantine. It has some interesting/new ideas e.g. the "half-breed" demons and angels that interact with us, but like you said, it's not exactly theologically sound.

In regards to my line about what "being good" calls for, I meant more of how a person/physical force of good should act. You are right; God allows injustice so as to allow free will, BUT at the same time, we still have the Church and even secular justice, which prevents/contains evil actions.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Dusty said...

What was the matter with "King Arthur"? I saw it and thought, aside from the usual Hollywood inaccuracies, that it was fairly good. After all Arthur, if he actually had existed, probably would have been a Roman soldier.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger adam said...

A couple of things that bugged me about King Arthur:

1. I both liked and disliked the knights being Samartian. I liked cause it was a new take, but disliked because they still had the traditional English names; no one living near the Black Sea would be named Lancelot, especially around 400 AD.

2. The movie had the typical "Christianity bad, anything else good."

3. The story just plodded along. I liked the actors in it (and they did the best they could), but the script was way too long and ponderous. When the end battle came, I didn't care that much (although I did feel bad when certain knights died).

4. The way the Saxons were depicted, and also that they were given crossbows...what the heck was up with that?

That's all I can think of at the moment.

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree. I've seen things that were too good. They were so amazing, I couldn't believe I was there. But I don't thing I'm evil.
My whole life has been too good. I keep thinking it's going to fall back in line with the rest of the crappy world, but it doesn't.

The balance thing goes all the way back to the original Star Wars at least. Luke was supposed to bring balance to the force. A balance of light and dark.

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this should be required reading for all ocf attendees:

http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4133&n=2

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger adam said...

Actually, the balance issue in Star Wars didn't come up until the sub-par prequels were made. Not once in the original trilogy was there talk of Luke restoring balance; it was just taking down Vader and the Emperor.

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? Hmm, now I have to watch them (the good three that is) all again.

I wonder what that one comment said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home