Thursday, June 23, 2005

Frying myself

Ye gods it's hot today! I first knew this when, after arising from sleep, I went to take my morning shower (in this case, my late-morning-almost-noon shower). Now I opened up the little window tht we have in the shower to catch a breeze, and instead of feeling a cool refreshing wind, I was blasted in the face with a scorching gust of air. This filled me with a sense of foreboding.

After the shower, I went and checked the temperature. 80 degrees. And rising (currently it's 91). These temps are in Faranheit too, fyi for my foreign readers.

Needless to say, this high temp has put a crimp on my plans. I WAS supposed to play tennis with my bro and a friend, but none of us feel like putting ourselves through such agony. We MIGHT play catch later tonight, but that's a big "might" (and it literally is bigger; get it??!!).

So what have I done. Aside from staying in my pleasantly air-conditioned house, I actually went outside to tan. That's right ivory-skinned readers, I went tanning. Now as a side note, I have some issues with tanning. Firstly, I don't do it that much. If I get tan, it's because I'm outside doing some kind of activity i.e. mowing, playing tennis, swimming etc., so the idea of just laying out there is not the most familiar for me. But as you can see [and read], I break this on occasion. Second, I'm aware of the dangers of tanning. That said, I'm not all that impressed with the uber tan girls that many of us see (and oggle; but that's mainly me and fellow-aged young men); not to be shallow, but I'm not interested in someone who's going to look like shoe leather in 15 years. Which ties in my other point about hating tanning salons. If a girl is really tan, and achieved it naturellement, then I'm cool with that. But if it's artificial...well...I won't NOT date them, but I might bring it up.

Ok, back to me. So yes, I did something slightly out of the ordinary and laid outside in the sun. It was both nice and disturbing at the same time. Nice cause, well, I was outside and I liked it. I'll probably do it again. Disturbing because I sweated A LOT. Maybe "disturbing" is a bad word, but seriously folks, I was coated in sweat. It tickled, but was also nasty. But then I doused myself off with a hose and it was one of the best feelings of my life.

Then I went inside and worked out. If I'm gonna be tan, I might as well be toned as well. Plus, this experience made me two things:

1. Boy am I glad I'm clean shaven now
2. I like the quasi-shaggy hair that I have now, but a haircut is on the way

So enjoy a cold one readers! And by that I mean pop or juice; no booze.

One last thing, I really should work on reading over summer, but I just haven't been able to do it. Hopefully I can overcome!

4 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Blogger Jaime said...

That's funny that you bring up tanning and the stereo-type that girls are usually the ones who tan. While we were in Mexico...all the guys in the house could be seen out every morning on the porch tanning. Usually the girls went to the gym at that time. (guys tanning vs. girls going to the gym...isn't that something?)

On another note...Mike I really like that you're friends with this guy, but maybe you could pick up a few more pointers from him. Such as shaving and getting a haircut???

 
At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I wish I had a hose, I need to find some water and jump in it. The Macnamera Building fountain is starting to look aweful nice. Maybe I should pop up at your house, and prompty douse myself in water.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger adam said...

Feel free to Jordan, mi manguera de jardín es su manguera de jardín (that's "my garden hose is your garden hose; thank you free translation!).

That is interesting Jaime; the Mexico stuff. See, if I was there, I'd have neither gone tanning nor gone to the gym. Well, I probably would've done the former, but only in the context of being at a pool or some large body of water.

Oh yeah Jordan, there have been a LOT of cute girls walking around on East Bank lately (noticed when I crashed over at the apartment and then went to work). As I mentioned "oggling" in my post, I figured I'd bring this up.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Nicki said...

And Jaime, you may as well stop trying to get Dusty to shave or cut his hair, because I love it and he won't cut it because I do love it... I'll see you in about a month. I'm excited to finally meet you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home