Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Abandon the "profiler" bandwagon

Just watched Fox's newest show "The Inside." It's main characters are FBI profilers, and each is your typical stereotypical law enforcement agent. And you know what folks? I'm sick to death of all these TV shows and movies that have profilers in them!

Why you ask? If you haven't noticed, there's been quite a rash of movies e.g. "Mindhunters" and now shows featuring the psychological aspect of crime. Sadly, they're all horribly inaccurate when portraying profilers. This annoys me to no end.

See gentle readers, while mainstream culture/Hollywood seems to go "oooh, behavioral scientists are so hip! Gosh, they crept out of no where. I know, let's get a bunch of hot looking actors and actresses to portray what we think profiling SHOULD be like," I tire of the regurgitated plot lines. Now, not to mix my own pudding of course, but I found out about the Behavioral Science department of the FBI when I was in 6th grade (ah...the joys of age 11...nigh on 8 years ago). By the time I was in 8th grade, I was familiar with killers like Ed Kempen, Wayne Williams aka The Atlanta Child Killer, etc. Dark I know; I'm not necessarily proud of this knowledge, just stating a fact. When I was in 9th, I knew what the requirements of getting into the FBI and becoming a profiler. Why? Because I honestly wanted to be a profiler (still kind of do, but I've learned more about myself and don't think I could handle it). Thus, whenever I see a preview or trailer for the newest bit on profilers, I get a bit disgusted. For example, in "The Inside," after just watching the little snippet before the opening credits, I already had problems with it.

I'm not going to go into details (or maybe I will later), but basically, real profiling is not a glam job performed by gorgeous psychics.

Actually, here are some example so I don't look like a nut and you readers come away with something. First off, profilers do NOT arrest bad guys. Their role is a clinical one; they assess the evidence and assist the local or federal authorities in identifying/laying a trap for the killer. In addition, their role is often educational; they'll give the local police tips on what they're doing. Building on that, not every murder case involves a profiler. Local authorities either ask for help from the FBI, or on certain high profile cases, the Bureau assigns a profiler to help. So basically, the image of a profiler suiting up and chasing down bad guys all by themselves is utter trash.

In short, I'm sure everyone has their own qualms with certain shows. People in the Medical field probably have a laugh over show the "inside workings of a hospital" and the like.

For me, my problem is with profilers on celluloid.

And it's personal...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home