Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Quality time with the sense of smell

Today was your typical day, but with a twist. After arising from slumber, showering, and eating, I started to get dressed. Now before donning a t-shirt, I of course applied deodorant. What a surprising sensation I felt! Pain! That's right ladies and gents, my deodorant stick was down to its last few swipes. The normal smooth sensation of the blue-green bar was replaced by the scraping pain caused by the cold white plastic beneath. Fortunatley, there was enough to get me through the day. But you know what this meant? Deodorant shopping!

Thing is folks, deodorant shopping is something that I enjoy. Doesn't happen all that often because deodorant sticks do last awhile. But then when it's time to buy a new one, there's something magical about it! All the different brands with different names and looks; how is one to chose? Does one keep with a tried and true scent, or go for something exotic and new? Should one perhaps go with a spray instead of the normal stick? Decisions, decisions.

So, off I went (well, much later in the day, but hey). I hit up Target; they do the trick. While I was able to find some (I'll go into details shortly), I am saddened by the fact that the variety of deodorants has sharply decreased at Target. I remember a ton of choices of flavo--I mean scents, but was greeted by a reduced number of said products. Nevertheless, a sniffing I went.

First off, I ruled out anti-persperants. Always have, always will. Why? Sweating is a healthy and normal function, and I don't want to mess with it; I just want to control the stink. Plus, I've known people who've had bad reactions with anti-persperants, and don't want to experience them myself. This tragically ruled out the Axe-effect products. Now yes, I've seen the commercials where hot women swarm guys wearing Axe, but I do kind of like the smells. Plus the drawings they have on their sticks; they look so cool! But, it was not to be.

Oh, sprays are also out. They just don't do it for me.

Gels? Hmm. I've tried those before, and they're kind of neat. But nah, really not my style.

Then came the big choices. Do I go with Speed Stick or Old Spice? My preferred scent is "Ocean Surf" by Speed Stick; I see it as the Blue Raspberry of deodorants. But...perhaps something new? Side note, I never just go with the plain, old boring smells; no "regular," "fresh," "active," etc. labelings. It has to catch my eye with a snazzy name [and smell]! That said, Old Spice has lately been by deodorant of choice; they have the coolest names/smells (with the possible exception of Axe, but again, anti-persperants are a no no). So, looks like it was going to be some form of Old Spice!

Lately, I've been using "metallic ice." Rather mild, its smell almost reminds me of bee's-wax. But, with the exception of "Ocean surf," I never buy the same deodorant twice in a row, so that's out. "Mountain rush," slightly stronger than "ice" but with a hint of mint in it was an option; but that's what my brother has at the moment so I ruled that one out. "Aqua reef?" Not too bad, but it didn't really grab my nose in the way that I thought it would.

In the end, I went with "Pacific surge." I liked the name, and its fruity scent sealed the deal. I at first had my misgivings; it was labeled a "new scent," and since I wish to be counter-culture in my deodorant use, almost didn't buy it. But I figured heck, I was just being silly, and no one comments on deodorant anways, so I might as well buy it.

Tomorrow, when I rise and meet the world, I'm going to smell good doing it!

6 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adam,
you never fail to bring a smile to my face and in this difficult time of missing my guy, it is a joy to know that reading your blogs will inevitably make me smile and wish he were here to laugh with me! Keep them coming! T-29 days till he returns!

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Dusty said...

I wish it the return were today!

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What say we start a pool. When will dusty REALLY return?

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger adam said...

I don't think he'll be back before the 4th of July weekend, that's my vote.

But, we do have to figure out a time to head down to Iowa.

If the Dusty can't come to the Minnesotans, the Minnesotas go to the Dusty.

 
At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dusty should not come back until the 4th of July~secondary ONLY to the fact that I want him to save the money so he can get a place up here upon his highly anticipated return! 28 days remaining!

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Dusty said...

I vote for MN to come to Dusty. It'll save me on gas and mileage.

Though, on second thought...can I get into the pool for when I'll return. If I win, then I can use that towards gas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home