Sunday, July 17, 2005

A slip up in the graduating plan...

Quick little thing.

As many of you know, I'm now going to double major in History (I'm already working on an English major). However, this means that I may not graduate in 4 years. Thus, I'm lamenting that I didn't grab a "Class of 2008" t-shirt at convocation this past Fall. I can't after all, wear my 2007 shirt in public if I'm not walking down the aisles of Northrop come Spring 2007.
.....

Spring boarding off of that, some things about the U have frightened me.

1. Our new MSA President (or whatever organization she's with; I didn't vote, I haven't voted, and I probably never will vote in MSA elections cause it does nothing), has said, "I want to change the complicated notion of gender." RIGHT....
Thank goodness MSA has no actual power, otherwise I would seriously regret not voting.

2. The Daily in general. It really is a terrible newspaper for the most part. Bad journalism. Bad editorials (I almost sent in a letter to deal with a writer who clearly didn't understand the partial state shutdown; but the shutdown's over so it's a moot point).

3. Vending machine prices have gone up. Seriously, what the F#@&! Now M&M's, skittles, and the like are 80 cents, instead of the normal 75. No longer can you just pop in 3 quarters (which was oh so convenient), but you have to pop an extra nickel. Who the f#@& bothers to carry around a nickel?!

There was more, but I forgot while making those three above points into coherent lamentations. In a perfect world, the ideas will return to me.

3 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, no, you know a guy is gutsy when he's wearing his 04 shirt in spring semester of 05. It just yells, "Yeah, that's right. Deal with it."

Um, that or it just yells, "Why did GC have to close down, these classes are hard!"

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I apologize for not putting this comment up earlier.

You are a dumbass Adam. Gender equality is an important issue and I am proud that our University has stood up for women's rights in the classroom.

After that comment, please, for the love of
God, don't vote period.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger adam said...

Daniel, aside from these words which I am now typing, I'm not even going to bother to argue about this. Well, actually, couple of things:

1. I am not against gender equality. I am against "dumbasses" (to use your word) who spout crap about changing the definition, meaning, symbolism, etc. of words. I may champion the use of vernacular phrases, but if I'm ever elected for any political position, I'm not going to say "I want to challenge the non-use of the word 'ain't."

2. You say you're glad that the U has stood up for women's rights; you're completely missing the point on this issue. This isn't the administration outlining an academic goal, this is some STUDENT riding out an ego trip.

3. I shall continue to vote whenever and however I please (hopefully for good). Besides, did YOU even vote in the MSA elections? And if you did, don't tell me you honestly believe that by doing so, one is a better citizen/student somehow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home