Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Beaten' down by all sides

Going into this school year, I realized it was going to be tougher than most. Five classes, two jobs (one of them new), and fencing club officer duties would certainly keep me busy. Plus, having to deal with the craziness at the U would not help things. However, I'm quite surprised at just what I have had to deal with in just two days of the new semester:

1. The workload. Oy vay, the workload. Guess who has 150 pages of reading and two 1-page papers due tomorrow? Me baby, me. Well, not entirely true; one of those papers is due Friday.

On that note, I did something rather stupid and embarassing; I bought a wrong book. Yes readers, I made a huge mistake, and it cost me much both personally and financially. Such is the way of life.

2. The LADIES yeah! Despite the first day of class being miserably muggy, it warmed my heart to see so many attractive girls wearing precious little clothing. But only at first. See, don't get me wrong, I'm all for the objectification of women; in fact, I don't think we objectify them enough. Just kidding (seriously I am; the comments have shown that this line has been met with confusion rather than laughter). However, I realized I want something more than a pretty face, and being in upper-division classes, I get to deal with more mature, developed (personality wise you dirty minded people), and intelligent young women. So that said, let the games begin...

3. The new school email format...I HATE IT. For any of you involved in that, I'm awaiting for your apologies.

4. The Daily. I've ranted before about certain issues I've had with it (one day Daily, you're gonna go to far and then BAM! To the moon!), but a little piece in the opinion section caught my eye and earned my wrath. The first was that the auther (the editorial editor himself) believes that since students spend time doing the crossword during lectures, they [the students] are "not being challenged." I think it's because these certain students are dumbasses who don't have the drive to actually apply themselves in class and will soon flunk out of college. Ok, truthfully, this isn't always the case. I've been bored in lecture too and zoned out. But, I realize that if I do poorly on a test, it's my own damn fault and not the professor's (again, exceptions exist, but rarely). Everyone talks about when you're at college to go out, challenge yourself, try new things, etc., but maybe that means working on having a longer attention span.

The second thing that blew my mind in the article is the author's apparent dismissal of academics in general. He says, "What idiots we are to worry about the petty details of syllabus when the world around us...bustles with the fervent heart of progess...This college campus however, is too tied down to paper deadlines and disconnected lectures." Ok buddy, I'm sure your professor will love to hear that you didn't write your paper because you were too busy attending political rallies. If you don't want to deal with college work, drop out. I'm attending [and paying] for college to learn, and to learn, one must work; no matter how boring or tedious the class is.

Speaking of, time for me to get cracking on my homework.

Oh, and the Network sucks. Almost as bad as last year. Well, it probably is, but it's the begining of the school year so there's hope.

Ooh, not done yet; I want to leave on a happy note. Perhaps, my new shoes rock and I get treats (edible ones) in one of my classes.

13 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger Jaime said...

I believe my brother used to do the crosswords in class instead of paying attention to the prof... :)

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger adam said...

In Ancient Israel he did the crossword, but that was before class actually started.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Jaime said...

Was it also before class when he would talk to me on the Internet?? Or was that actually DURING class?

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're dissing the unininterested are you? I'll have you know that I've zoned out in every way possible. I'm pretty sure I've gone to a class and never actually heard a word the prof said for an entire hour and a half.

Occasionally that's not good, but for the most part, it seems to work out.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger 20db below awesome said...

Yeah, Im a big believer in learning through osmosis. That is to say you absorb knowledge being spouted by a professor simply by the fact that you know nothing (or very little) about it, and that knowledge likes to flow from the knowledgable to the unknowledgable. Not in the actual, scientific definition of the word.

Doesn't work quite as well as it did in highschool, but then again, I didn't have to osmos through 400 other students. However it really only works when zoning out, as actively doing something else tends to block the process. So doing the crossword is a no-no.

And feel free to cite me for creating the verb 'osmos'.

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've used an explanation very similar to that one. I've found that one can even "osmos" while napping/fighting for consciousness.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

It could be worse Adam, you could be taking real classes.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger adam said...

Jaime, sadly, I have no idea.

Jordan, I'm not dissing the uninterested; I admitted it that I've done it myself, and I've even gone so far as to skip many Amer Lit II lectures. I'm just saying is that I'm prepared to reap what I sow, and that if you spend your (in the royal sense) time doing the crossword in a lecture, you may not get the best grade.

20db, welcome; hope you enjoyed the post and thanks for the comment. And actually, I like the word "osmos."

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

It is especially in the acceptance of the object status that her humanity is hurt:it is a metaphysical acceptance of lower status in sex and in society; an implicit acceptance of less freedom, less privacy, less integrity. In becoming an object so that he can objectify her so that he can fuck her, she beings a political collaboration with his dominance; and then when he enters her, he confirms for himself and for her what she is: that she is someone; certainly not someone equal.

-Stolen from someone who's identity will be revealed later

 
At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, um I do believe that's way off topic. Unless that is what's in the Daily these um... days.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Nicki said...

All I can say is that this topic is becoming a bit strange...

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot about that piece of his post...

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger adam said...

That line about objectification was meant to be funny; I don't honestly believe that and I would hope that none of you thought I did. Perhaps I'll add a "just kidding" statement in the blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home