Friday, September 16, 2005

Business and Finance

Work is a funny thing. Inspiring both hatred and love, it is something we all must do. At this point in my life, I happen to hold three jobs...all fun and stress inducing at the at the same time.

But this is not a post on job satisfaction, this is a post on money. Earning green. Cold-hard cash. Deniro (or however you say in Spanish). While I don't see it hurting my academic life (yet), I do have the ability to rack in lots of money.

For example, the library needs me to work the occasional night. At first, it kind of bugged because 1. it was a day that I had nothing going on, and 2. I frequently use that day to work at St. Mary's. The latter reason especially because I make more care-taking than I do shelving books. Or so I thought. As I found out today, I get paid $10 an hour to work at night! That's a more than $2 raise over my normal day pay. Thus, I have greater incentive to be there. Now, here's a question for everyone (but particularily those who worked/are working in college):
Is it wise to work more than 15 hours a week? I know statistically, your grades tend to drop, and I don't want to burn out, but I'd like to know others' opinions on this.

With the increase of fundage, some other issues have come up. Firstly, I thought of moving to Dinnaken, given that I'll be making more money than previously anticipated. But, I realized I'll just increase the wealth of the Bank of Adam, and hopefully do it next year (or rather, someplace else since I'm not hearing much praise about Dinnaken). Secondly, the purchasing of more expensive objects. Like, I can justify spending more money on stuff. At present, I'm thinking of getting an MP3 player. Which brings me to my next question:
Any suggestions on which MP3 player to buy?

I realize this a pretty drab post, so I'll leave you with this update on.............my hair. That's right, I think I'm going to let it grow until Halloween (going to dye it blue). Any particular reason you think? Yes. Conditioner. I've tried it in the past, but now, when I use it, I'm so pleased with the results. Girly I know. But hey, nothing beats the golden shimmer of my locks.

7 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Blogger Dusty said...

My freshman and sophomore year I worked 10 years a week. Then my last two years I worked 12 hours a week. These hours were only during the weeks and never on the weekends. But with student groups, special lectures, reading, homework, and friends, I wouldn't wanted to have worked more hours. Sometimes, as I look back, I wonder if what I did was even too much--however I did really really enjoy the archives and I do have fond memories of "caverns".

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am faced with the same dilemma. Get a job or don't. I mean, it would be nice to have some more money to kick around, and to kill those two days a week that I do nothing. But my lazy side is so powerful. Must resist...

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Jaime said...

1). Dinero (but it was a nice try).

2). No, I wouldn't kill myself working. I agreed to work at least 16 hours a week at Caseys (which usually fall on the weekends...mainly fri./sat. night) and now I find out that I may have to move away from campus and my friends in Jan. making this my last semester on campus. So what am I doing instead of hanging out with friends...yep I'm working. I think these years are meant for us to be living because we have the rest of our lives to work. School right now is your job and yes some hours should be spent earning money, but we don't need another full time job.

3). Mike - those 10 years a week must have seemed like eternity!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Dusty said...

but think of all the dough I raked in working 10 years a day!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Jaime said...

LOL! So now we've gone from working 10 years a week to working 10 years a day. Geez...you really were a work-acholic!

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Dusty said...

Yeah baby!

 
At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you need to post once again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home