Monday, April 25, 2005

My duty to the Byzantines...at a cost of BBQ time

I happen to be in the throes of another albeit not uncommon dilemma. My quandary is as follows:

Bright Monday is coming up (the day after Pashca). Now, I usually try and take this day off from school; I'm usually exhausted from Pascha itself AND my family has a BBQ. Problems though. For one, that's the last day of my Amer Lit Discussion. I kind of like the class and there's paper stuff to be done, so I might or might not go. However, even if I did, despite the fact that I'd have to get up early, I'd still be back home in time for the feast. I also have work. That's a null issue; I'm taking it off. Now the BIG issue, the fulcrum of all my agonies, is my Humanities class. I would've had only minor qualms about emailing in "sick," and in a lawyer like way, I could probably that I was sick in some sense of the world. But you know what we happen to be discussing in class that day? The Byzantines! No doubt there will be talk of Eastern Orthodoxy, given that one of the terms on the outline for that class is the "Haiga Sophia." Then of course there's Constantine, Justinian, Constantinople, etc. A part of me immediately said, "oh boy! I know all these terms! I'm not missing a dang thing!" But the other, more cynical and perhaps wiser part of me replied, "hold on a sec bud. You know the people in your class; some are not the brightest of bulbs in the Amish man's house. Remember the one dude who asked of Greek Orthodoxy was the modern day offshoot of Ancient Greek Paganism? Can you trust that the professor will adequately explain things about the Byzantines and Orthodox?" *sob*

So dear friends, I am torn. I NEED to be there, cause I know things have the potential to be misinterpreted. But then again...I might just stay home period.

Oh yes, by going, I don't miss out on the BBQ. I merely am late to it, and so some of the joyous time is lost. Plus the fact that I REALLY don't want to be at school that day.

10 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger Dusty said...

Look at it this way: There'll be many, many, many more Bright Monday's in your future. You have a long life ahead of you where you'll have a job from which you can take a vacation. Now, though is the only time in your life to get this particular academic experience. And you paid for it, might as well get the band for your buck.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Dusty said...

I mean: get the BANG for you BUCK.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Dusty said...

As I sit here, I keep thinking (darn brain). Anyway, as you can tell, I'm all for unique experiences. If its a once in a lifetime one, then go for it (including academic ones), even if it has to over ride another "fun/important" experience that happens all the time. Perhaps I should say ESPECIALLY if it over rides another reoccuring experience.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger adam said...

Good comments Dusty; and yes, I shall be on class Monday.

However, just to disagree a bit, I'd argue that Pascha (and the season as well) takes precedence over a TON of unique experiences
:-)

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Dusty said...

Let us keep this conversation going in the interest of academic/friendly debate.

"However, just to disagree a bit, I'd argue that Pascha (and the season as well) takes precedence over a TON of unique experiences"

Such as...?

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger adam said...

Prom. True story actually. During my senior year of high school, our Prom turned out to be on Holy Saturday. Thus, knowing that Pascha is more important (and to be honest, probably a lot more joyous), I went Church instead.

Also, I know SOME of us are going to a concert Holy Thursday night. Even though I am a fan of the band, I believe that the whole Holy Week/Paschal Weekend is matters more.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger adam said...

Last point (and also, didn't mean to sound judgmental about those going to the concert; my apologies).

Every now and then, people from St. Mary's head to Russia. Well, when the country was still Communist, they [the Communists] would often schedule the "neat" parts of the tour on Sunday mornings, right when liturgy was. Some people of course opted to go looking, but quite a few actually went to to church instead.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger adam said...

Oh but Erich...it feels so good!

Actually on that note, I've skipped more class this semester than I have my entire life up to this point (I've skipped like 4,5 classes this term). And actually, those are only from 1 class; Amer Lit II.

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Dusty said...

Prom? Hmmm...can't really say much there as I didn't go to my prom either, but it wasn't to attend Pascha.

However, I still say a once-in-a-lifetime event still beats out an 80-in-a-lifetime event. But you're not actually skipping Pascha. Just a party afterwards.

But, to me, if one starts using Lent/tradition as an excuse for not doing other stuff (stuff that needs done) then one becomes legalistic and a pharisee. Much like what Fr. Marc was talking about by eating meat with his friends. However we should also becareful not to ignore the rules of the Church in such of other "pagan" ways.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger adam said...

True, I'm not actually missing Church, just fun time. So I do see your point. Howerver, two other points:

1. in regards to "once in a lifetime vs. 80 times," I'd actually disagree when it comes to Pascha. To me at least, Pashca carries much more weight than a lot of secular things, and to be honest, Pascha is the whole central thing about being Orthodox (I know I'm not clear, but seriously, no Pacha/Resurection, no Christianity).

2. Also, I know you're not accusing me of anything, but I've never really used Lent/tradition to get out of things. If anything, being Orthodox makes education tougher because I usually wind up having to get all my stuff before hand (I don't bother asking for extensions, I just get things done). And yeah, Fr. Marc has points, but I don't always see eye to eye with him ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home