Friday, April 22, 2005

Thug-like vending machines

Some days, unfortunately, machine triumphs over man. Today was one of those days. Let's start at the begining.

I worked today, as usual. When I went on my break, I went to the vending machine, also as usual. At the point, I had a little bit of a dilema; what to snack on? There no more "Grandma's Oatmeal Cookies," so I decided on getting the "Salted Nut Roll;" of all the other snacks, this has the highest net weight. So, I put the quarters in, as usual. I pressed "D6," as usual. The lil' metal thing turned, yet my salty and creamy snack did not fall...VERY NOT USUAL. I tried a little bit of shaking, but to no avail. Nor did I have any more $1 bills or change, so I couldn't try again. There was a number listed for such problems, but after a silent sigh of despair, I decided to move on with my life.

Fast forward two hours. I'm in Walter Library, still hungry cause I hadn't eaten lunch (or rather, not eaten much). So, I head to their vending machines. At this point, I did have money cause I stopped at Laurie's for a caramel French soda and croissaint. So, I get a Mellow Yellow, and then move on to its sister machine; the one that dispenses food instead of beverage. There's a girl there too (attractive as well, but I do nothing; my mind was occupied with other matters). She lets me go first, since she hadn't decided. I put in my change and, still angry at Salted Nut Rolls, I choose Peanut M & M's. Can you guess what happened folks? Apparantly, this vending machine was/is part of the same crime racket that refuses to pony up the goods on payment. I couldn't believe, screwed out of money and tasty snacks twice in one day! Fortunately, all was not lost. The girl behind me, seeing my plight, decides to get Peanut M & M's; she helped me get my pack, and she thanked me for helping her "make up her mind." I expressed my gratitude and we went our seperate ways.

My last tragedy (oh man I hope it's my last; the night is young) that occured today is that I somehow lost my watch. Shortly after finishing my M & M's and Mellow Yellow, I glanced at my wrist (where the watch SHOULD have been) to see the time and was horrified to see that my watch had disappeared. I retraced my steps to no avail; the watch was/is gone. I'll try and check some lost-and-founds, but I have little hope. *sigh* AND NOW SOME SLEEZEBAG IS GONNA FIND IT AND PAWN IT FOR BOOZE!!!!

3 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, I don't know, that almost sounds like an elevator moment, no? Maybe not quite as bad, but still.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger adam said...

Almost, but not quite. There was no flirtation, no "I'll share my candy with you" stuff going on.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger adam said...

If she was a klepto, she must have be VERY good and fast, cause I didn't feel a thing. Also, it wasn't until like 15 minutes after the snacks that I realized my watch was gone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home