Thursday, October 20, 2005

Ah...books

Went to a used bookstore with Daniel today. Picked up two interesting books for under $10. There was this really nice copy of Crime and Punishment, and I would've spent the $50 on it, but...it had illustrations. And, being the purist that I am (am I purist? in this case yes), I just couldn't buy it. What adds insult to the injury is that it was a challenge to find it...on the bottom shelf, right on the end, with a heavy box in front of it...how sad it was to finally pick it up only to be greeted with full page images scattered throughout the book. For those not so discriminating, this bookstore is on Nicollet Mall, between 9th and 10th Ave. The only other disapointing aspect was that there were not works of Twain. There was a set of plays by Marlowe, but no Jew of Malta, which is what I want to read. Nor was there Kyd's Spanish Tragedy. Don't want to sound like a whiner, but that's what I've been searching for, and I don't want to forget (writing helps to remember).

In sum, I must say, used bookstores are the neatest places on earth. Words can't describe it.

Oh, and I got a few pens and handbag (all for free), at the Writing Center Conference that I attended. Score for Adam!

14 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Blogger Jaime said...

A handbag? May I ask why a guy wants a handbag?

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger adam said...

Because it was free. And actually, it's a book bag, not a handbag.

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger Jaime said...

OH! Well in that case, a book bag does sound better. I'm glad we cleared that up. :)

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Dusty said...

I beg to differ. You are not a purist but a liberal revolutionist by not wanting pictures in your book. Think of all first printed books--aka the Bible and all the wonderfully printed images that they contained! Decorated letters and icons illustrated the pages in hand-made manuscripts that dated before the printed. Many of our great classics whose first editions oringally contained several pages of illustrations that make them worth thousands today. This text only, no pictures, is yet another trend in the modernist movement to dull life and fill it with boring science and technology rather than the artist liberal arts which bring culture into our life.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Dusty said...

Oh, I should add that these famous authors wanted their books to be illustrated: Mark Twain, Robert Louis Stevenson, Lewis Carroll, and Charles Dickens. If you read about on them, you'll find that they worked closely with the illustrators to ensure that their writings not only were JUSt books, but magnificant works of art.

No illustrations in a book making someone a purist--bah, you as an English major should know better.

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you're an english major. You should know that you've already lost your purity to the CLAw.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Men can like handbags. I am still trying to find a good one, but they are near impossible to find in Minnesota.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger adam said...

I don't want illustrations in my classics because I want to visualize the story/characters for myself. I've moved past the need i.e. I can read, for pictures to accompany my text.

Besides, I do have a deep appreciation for illuminated manuscripts...they just have to be before 18th Century.

And finally, how the illustrations look matters. The ones in Crime and Punishment didn't do it for me.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Dusty said...

But by not having the pictures that the authors wanted takes away from the presentation that the author wanted to reader to see. It takes a way from his work of art. It would be like looking at a work of art where someone had repainted all the faces purple.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger 20db below awesome said...

So we are now assuming that the author originally wanted artwork in the novel? Im sure you know that meaning behind "assume" :)

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Dusty said...

No, I'm not assuming, we do know, because in the first editions the author hired artists!

Therefore I think you assumed in thinking I assumed thus making the ass out of yourself and not me!

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger 20db below awesome said...

I assumed nothing - hence the reason I asked on that clarification.

Which then means that you assumed I was making an assumption about your own assuming, which in the end works out to you being, once again, the ass.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger 20db below awesome said...

Then again, stricly speaking, assuming makes an ass of you and me alike - so maybe we are both just asses!

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Dusty said...

dido

 

Post a Comment

<< Home